If you’re reading this, you've likely made the informed decision to outsource custom software development, like many successful businesses do, in order to maximize profit while maintaining the quality of the services. The trend is unstoppable; the pressures on time, resources, and money that companies face lead them to turn to viable alternatives. Outsourcing appears to be the most efficient solution to support businesses growth.
The choices for outsourcing IT services are overwhelming and depend on many factors like cost-effectiveness, work quality, time zone, and many others. You might consider outsourcing to Eastern European countries, India, or other Asian and Latin American countries. But have you ever thought about Slovakia?
A brief overview of the software development industry in Slovakia
Slovakia is a relatively small economy compared to its European neighbors, with a population of just around 5.4 million. However, Slovakia has positioned itself among the best of the best competitors in the IT sector. Slovakia has achieved some incredible performance markers globally:
The best software developers in the world: According to a 2019 Skillvalue report, developers in Slovakia ranked first (index 100), more than five points ahead of Mexican developers who came in second place (index 94.67) and those in Poland in third position (index 93.38).
Easy trading across borders: Slovakia ranks number one globally in the indicators of trading across borders and ease of business according to World Bank’s report ‘Doing Business’.
High English proficiency: In the world's largest ranking of countries by English proficiency, Slovakia ranks 15. The Slovak population also speaks other languages - skills that have been shaped by the country’s history and its proximity to Austria, Hungary, Poland, the Czech Republic, and Ukraine. The high English proficiency makes communications and collaboration easy and efficient.
Innovative software solutions: Slovakia, despite having a smaller economy, boasts some notable technology patents such as the ESET software security app that protects users in 180 countries, the SOITRON system for intelligent police car communications, the INNOVATRICS biometrics recognition software, the one-of-a-kind software for safe and smooth aviation, NG Aviation, and much more.
Why choose a custom software development company in Slovakia?
Strategic geographical location: Slovakia is located in the heart of Europe, having access to 300 million clients in a radius of 1000 km. Its proximity to major European cities and excellent transport links allows for easy travel and attending meetings in-person to meet the team and foster long-term partnerships. For example, the UK is only one hour behind the CET zone.
Competitive salaries in the IT Sector: The IT specialists' salaries are higher than the Slovak average; however, they still can compete with other software development outsourcing countries.
A skilled workforce: Slovakian developers possess the expertise in cutting-edge technologies to successfully deliver custom developed solutions to clients. There are seven IT faculties at six universities, from which 2672 students graduate every year. The city of Kosice successfully introduced a dual-system education, where 70% of the students’ education is practical education in technical studies. Furthermore, nine art faculties offer training for the game development industry. The IT sector in Slovakia is growing rapidly and creating more than 87,000 jobs. Currently, there are around 50,000 software engineers in Slovakia, with another 3,000 graduates joining them every year.
Cultural compatibility and alignment of business practices: Slovak professionals, being part of the EU and located in Central Europe, are familiar with Western culture and share Western business practices and values. Slovak developers often pursue higher education or work experience in Western countries or the United States. Slovak developers frequently travel for business purposes, attending conferences, trade fairs, and meetings with international partners.
The euro: Slovakia is one of the few countries in Central and Eastern Europe that has the euro as its currency, thus eliminating currency conversion cost and exchange rate risks, as well as providing price transparency within the Eurozone.
Safety and stability: Slovakia is one of the safest and most politically stable countries in Europe. According to the credit insurance group Credendo, Slovakia reports the lowest risk among the EU member states, especially in the categories of political violence risk, expropriation risk, currency convertibility and transfer restriction risk.
GDPR compliant: Slovakia is compliant with GDPR, the strongest privacy and security law in the world.
A favorable business environment and supportive government policies: Slovak IT companies have built IT hubs to enhance and expand the Slovak IT landscape in Bratislava, with a Slovak association of 100+ IT companies, Kosice, with 55 members, and Zilina, with 14 members. In 2022, the Slovak government created the Digital Country Partnership between the public and private sector in cooperation with GLOBSEC to support small-and-medium sized enterprises in their digital transition, to address cyber security, and to explore avenues for growth. A large deduction of 200% for R&D activities can be claimed for innovative software development projects.
The growing importance of custom software development
Off-the-shelf software may not always meet the unique requirements of your business, and you may end up paying for features that you won't use. Custom software development allows you to create solutions specifically tailored to your needs, ensuring maximum efficiency. Read more about how you can revolutionize your business with custom software development here.
The advantages of custom software development include:
- Saving money
- Saving time
- Flexibility and scalability
- Enhanced integration
- Enhanced data security and confidentiality
- Long-term cost efficiency
- Increased productivity and efficiency
How to choose the right custom software development company in Slovakia
According to IBISWorld, there are 3,752 software development companies in Slovakia, so how do you choose the right one which will deliver your project to the expected standards, within your set budget, and meet your business' unique requirements?
Here are some tips that could help you select the right software development company in Slovakia:
- Clearly outline your project’s goals, scope and specific requirements.
- Conduct thorough research to identify software development companies in Slovakia. Look for their websites, portfolios, client testimonials to assess their expertise, experience, and projects they have worked on in the past.
- Verify the company’s certifications, industry partnership, and awards. Evaluate their technical expertise in specific technologies, programming languages and frameworks relevant to your project. If possible, contact the company’s previous clients for feedback.
- Assess the company’s project management methodologies, communication channels and their ability to provide regular updates and progress reports.
- Assess the cultural compatibility - factors like English proficiency, time-zone differences, and work culture can impact collaboration and communication.
- Learn about the team's expertise, skillset, and experience in working on similar projects.
- Request detailed pricing proposals and contract terms for shortlisted companies.
- Assess the outsourcing company’s approach to security, data protection, and intellectual property rights. Ensure that industry-standard security practices are followed and measures are in place to safeguard your confidential information.
- If feasible, visit the shortlisted companies in Slovakia to meet the team in person and gain a better understanding of their work environment and company culture.
- Consider scalability and future-proofing - if your goals are ambitious regarding your future business expansion, consider IT system scalability and future-proofing so you don’t need to change the core technology every three or four years.
- If you are unsure about committing to a long-term engagement, consider starting with a smaller project to assess the outsourcing company’s capabilities and compatibility with your organization.
Rare Crew is one of the top custom software development companies in Slovakia, with a head office in Bratislava and branches across Slovakia, India, Serbia, the UK, and Egypt. The company has a proven record of delivering high quality products and services to globally well-known brands for the last 12 years. Rare Crew’s services include:
- Custom development
- Mobile applications
- Business intelligence & analytics
- Software testing
Rare Crew uses advanced technologies and top project management tools which make collaboration across multiple time-zones easy and efficient. Rare Crew’s 150+ highly skilled IT professionals are accustomed to quick onboarding and have a deep understanding of industry standards. You can read about Rare Crew on Clutch, the Manifest, Azure Marketplace, G2, Dribbble and our press page.
In short, Slovakia an outstanding destination for custom software development, offering cost-efficient, high-quality services and a convenient geographical location. The use of the euro and high global performance rankings set Slovakia apart from other Eastern and Central European competitors. Political stability, familiarity with Western values and business practices, and a skilled and loyal workforce are all beneficial factors you should consider when outsourcing IT services.
Ready to learn more about starting your custom software development journey with Rare Crew? Get in touch today.